United Purpose (UP) is recruiting for Partnership Coordinator
United Purpose UP is an international development organisation that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world's poorest communities. Established in 1976, the organisation has nine country programmes in Africa, Asia & South America.
In Nigeria, UP has been working for almost two decades with local partners and rural communities in the country’s South East. We implement projects funded by major international donors that aim to address gender inequalities and rights abuses, improve sanitation and access to water, foster accountability, preserve vital ecosystems and develop sustainable livelihoods.
Location: Calabar with travel to Abuja and field sites in Cross River State
Reporting to: RUSHPIN Programme Manager
- The purpose of this post is to support implementation of the Rural Sanitation & Hygiene Promotion in Nigeria RUSHPIN Programme funded by the UN/WSSCC Global Sanitation Fund GSF and the Nigerian Government. United Purpose is the Executing Agency for the Programme that aims to significantly increase sanitation coverage and sustained hygiene behavioural change in Cross River and Benue States, and to serve as a model towards state-wide sanitation coverage that can be replicated in other states.
- The Partnership Coordinator will provide technical assistance in linking and fostering coordination and collaboration between State, LGA and non-state partners sub-grantees . Specifically, the post-holder will work within UP to support the stated agenda of the Federal Government to achieve an Open Defecation Free Nigeria by 2025, with particular focus on developing state ODF road maps, systems strengthening, and inclusion of menstrual hygiene management MHM and Leave No-one Behind LNOB approaches.
- Initially, the position will support the Cross River State Government to develop a road map for the attainment of State-level Open Defecation Free status. Working closely with relevant WASH stakeholders to support all activities towards the attainment of an ODF State, the role will involve extensive engagement with government, private sector and partners in the development sector. This support may then transfer to Benue or other States as required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Support a movement towards state-wide ODF status for Cross River State through societal engagement, harnessing the ‘Clean and Green Cross River’ initiative launched by the State Government with high-level support from the Government of Cross River and key influencers and champions.
- Work within the RUSHPIN programme to play an important role as proof of concept and catalyst both at state level but also as technical support to the State and national level ODF strategy.
- Support the strengthening of inter-ministerial collaboration and partnership that will improve WASH governance under the leadership of MoWR .
- Support Ministry of Water Resources in the implementation and the effective coordination of the ODF road map for Benue and Cross River States
- Support partners like Global Interfaith Alliance GIWA and faith leaders in Cross River to promote messaging around the importance of sanitation and hygiene nation-wide.
- Support to linking Nigeria success stories on ODF programmatic, policy and financing progress in National and state fora to promote RUSHPIN as a role model towards achieving ODF on a National level
- To engage civil society, WSSCC members, partners, youth, high Social influencers, media, and religious and traditional leaders cross-sectoral with strong support from NEWSAN .
- Support the Programme Manager to review the State & LGA Level WASH sector plans and budgets and assist in the formulation of strategies, plans and budgets to achieve Total Sanitation and the subsequent deployment of resources funds and human resource in the programme targeted state.
- Undertake other responsibilities which may be assigned from time to time contributing to the overall organisations’ objective.
- University Degree in Social Science, Development Assistance, Gender or any field related to WASH, Development, or Communication
- 2-3 years professional experience managing projects funded by international donors, including experience of grant management and reporting, monitoring and evaluating
- Experience of working in partnership with multiple stakeholders, including Government, CSOs and the private sector
- Knowledge of WASH issues, especially sanitation and hygiene challenges and relating to MHM & EQND
- Excellent planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills, with ability to maintain quality on multiple tasks
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to work under pressure with little supervision to meet deadlines and manage multiple priorities
- Working knowledge of basic computer software Word, Excel, E-mail operations
- Gender and intercultural sensitivity
- Fluency in English and pidgin languages
- Masters Degree in a relevant discipline
- 5 years’ experience in successfully managing development projects, funded by international donors, including experience of grant management and reporting experience in monitoring and evaluating WASH projects
- Track record of building partnerships effectively with Government, civil society organisations, donors, private sector, and influencers/celebrities
- Knowledge of and experience in Community-led Total Sanitation CLTS programming
- Experience of team leadership and clear examples of supervisory skills and line-management
- Knowledge of participatory research methods, results-based monitoring and action learning
- Positive outlook and proactive problem solving skills
- Experience and skills of using audio/visual equipment to capture development impacts
- Knowledge and experience of best practice approaches to gender and disability issues
- Knowledge and understanding of contextual diversity of Cross River State and its languages
What we offer
This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to gain senior-level experience with an international NGO. We provide a competitive remuneration, high-quality training and support, and, above all, a respectful and empowering working environment and the opportunity to make a real impact.
Commensurate with position and experience